Books to Supplement Grade 5 History

MommyJhy

Please suggest books (read-alouds) to supplement Seton's History lessons for grade 5. We use "Who Was" books. Can you please recommend other books? 

Thanks. 

Edited by MommyJhy
Clarification
  • 5 months later...

We don't read from any particular source or style of books.  We pick out things that interest my son (also in 5th grade) and delve a little deeper in different topics that interest him.  When we reached the part on the Civil War, I gave him the book Raising The Hunley by Brian Hicks and Schuyler Kropf to read (he is an advanced reader).  This is fascinating history that so few people know about and I highly recommend it.  The CS Hunley was the worlds first submarine to successfully sink an enemy ship, the USS Housatonic.  Shortly after sinking the Housatonic, the submarine disappeared.  The book also talks about the search for and subsequent recovery of the sub.  The Hunley is currently located in Charleston, SC and is open (check Covid restrictions- we don't live in SC) for tours.  We also went to see the Hunley and, if possible, I highly recommend that as well.  Sometimes visiting and physically seeing places where history took place is more powerful than reading about it.  If there are places nearby that have anything to do with what you are learning about, go see them!